As the hours pass throughout the day rumors of the New York Mets contract extension offer to David Wright seem to get richer and richer. Ken Rosenthal, following up on a story he posted to FOX Sports earlier today in which he said Wright had been offered a 6-year/$100 million extension on Monday, now says New York s putting a 7-year deal on the table worth between $125-$150 million.
This jives with an earlier tweet from Andy Martino of the Daily News.
Well as Ron Burgundy said after that rumble in Anchorman:
To be honest, if this is true and Wright isn’t inclined to take the money and stay with the team, then I wouldn’t fault the Mets ownership or front office.
The contract, from a practical standpoint, is ridiculous. These lengthy deals never work out as far as performance goes, but Wright is the face of the franchise and in New York a big market team should be able to afford to overpay someone with Wright’s resume both on and off the field. All this goes with the assumption that Wright does in fact want to stay in New York and this offer, if accurate, will certainly test that premise.
Powered by Facebook Comments