Martino: Mets have made Wright 7-year offer in excess of $100M

Earlier this morning Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports said that “the Mets offered (David) Wright a six-year, $100 million contract extension on Monday, according to major-league sources.”   With Thanksgiving still on my mind I said that I felt such an offer was like a lukewarm plate of turkey with mashed potatoes, no stuffing or cranberry sauce.

A recent tweet from Andy Martino of the Daily News suggest that the team may have cracked open all the sauces and sides.


Can now report Mets have made Wright a 7 year offer well in excess of $100 mil, according to industry sources. Negotiations in process.
@SurfingTheMets
Andy Martino

Now that seems more like it.  People, including Ken Rosenthal and Matt Cerrone of Metsblog.com, have been suggesting all along that Wright would require a seventh year in his negotiations.

Photo by Michael G. Baron

If the Mets started things off at six years I certainly understand it, but if that is the case and they did in fact add a seventh year just a day later, it really tells me they are making REAL effort to keep Wright in a Mets uniform for the rest of his career.  To be honest, I didn’t think that would be the case, but as I’ve said all along, I’ll be happy if I’m wrong.

EmailFacebookShare

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments