Tuesday in PSL: Collins, Santana, Turner, #7

New York Mets starter, Johan Santana threw his second bullpen session of the Spring this afternoon at Digital Domain Park; tossing 29 pitches from a mound. Upon completion of his session, the former Cy Young Award Winner told reporters he was feeling good, but is still taking it “one step at a time”:

Photo taken by Mets Official Twitter Feed

It’s been a tough time, a lot of challenges out there. But this is part of the game. Injuries are part of the game. You battle, yourself, until you get back. And that’s what I’m trying to do. I’m not trying to hurry anything. I’m just going to go one step at a time. If it’s there, great. If it’s not, I’ll work my way up. That’s what we’re looking for.”

Prior to Santana’s mound session, Mets manager Terry Collins gave a state-of-the-team address and according to David Lennon of Newsday was very optimistic when talking about #57:

In my mind right now, in my heart, he’ll be ready.  I don’t think there’s any question. He’s gearing himself up for that to be ready. We’re going to take this as Dan [Warthen] has said and I have said and I’m sure Sandy [Alderson] has said, we’re going to take this very slowly and very cautiously.  He’s going to have a lot to say how he feels and how we’re going to go about it. This guy has worked so hard in the last 18 months to get ready, I think he’s going to be ready. I really do.”

While Collins believes Santana will be ready for opening day, the left-hander would not confirm:

Going through everything I went last year, one day you feel good, one day you don’t feel so good. It’s like a rollercoaster. Right now, so far, I’m feeling really good and hopefully toward the end, mid-spring training, we’ll have a better idea where we’re at and see if we’ll be ready for Opening Day.”

According to Mike Puma of the New York Post, if Santana reports no soreness Wednesday, he could return to a bullpen mound on Thursday to throw 35 pitches.  Andy McCullough of the Star Ledger reports, the plan is to have Johan throw at least one round of batting practice before making his first Spring start on March 5th. All while the team monitors his progress each step of the way. However, as David Lennon of Newsday points out, a lot has to go right in order for that to happen:
A lot has to happen before Santana makes that March 5 start, but at least it's something to shoot for. #mets
@DPLennon
David Lennon

Justin Turner will be the primary back-up to Ike Davis at first base and according to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the 27-year-old is eager to get acclimated to the position:

I played in spring training last year. I played a couple of games in the Dominican two winters ago. Obviously it’s a little different over there — a different angle.  I’ll put some work in over there and get acclimated to it as quick as possible and see what happens.”

In other news from PSL, it looks as if there will be a #7 roaming the field.  Too bad it won’t be the speedy, highly skillful shortstop who donned the number over the last eight years:
Looks like we'll be seeing the return of No. 7 for tomorrow's workout. Bench coach Bob Geren listed on roster with the Reyes' old number.
@DPLennon
David Lennon

*NOTE-

Mets prospect Jeurys Familia threw a bullpen session today as well. To view a video of Familia’s session, check out this video posted to MetsBlog.com.

EmailFacebookShare

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments